Advice for Older Female New Rider?

Dear Flabby

(Wow! A "real" letter!)

Dear Flabby:
I'm an older female who is new to dirt bikes. I've been riding offroad now for several months and picked up my first real dirt bike this week after starting on a heavy dual sport which was a nightmare to ride.
A friend introduced me to dirt bikes earlier this year and though I was (still am) terrible, I loved the activity. My challenge is that my friend's schedule and mine differ greatly, he works weekends and I work a regular M-F schedule. So I go to croom most weekends but end up riding alone.

That's ok sometimes but I feel like it would be safer to ride with others as well as a good chance to learn from experienced riders. Do you have any suggestions on how to find or meet people or a group to ride with?

It can be intimidating because everyone I see at the park seems either fast or young or both. That makes you feel like you have no business even being there especially being an older woman out there on your own. Although I do love riding offroad and am serious about becoming a solid rider watching lots of videos on riding tips on youtube and reading what I can online.

Thank you!

-Elle
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear Elle;
Hello. Sounds like a serious and legit question.

My good friend "Still Bill" is old, fat, and slow, and races in Master-C - on same line as Women-B on Sunday morning. He is same speed as the slower 1/3 of those women, and says he has fun racing with them. I'm sure he, and many others, all ages, would be happy to ride at Croom with you. Many of us have made several close friends by going to Croom alone and just introducing ourself. Don't ride alone though.

Have you been to any FTR events? Try hare scramble Beginner class. We are one big family, and you will get lots of support.

Also, FTR is made of 15 local clubs. If you go to Croom, then there are several clubs in your area. Where do you live, exactly?

Signed;
Dear Flabby