Class A diesel pushers

Michael Rewis

NOMAD RACING
Wanted to post in the FTR forum about Class A diesel pushers to the riders who bring their families to the races in such rigs.

I am considering a unit for my family to be more comfortable at the events on the long weekends. I am considering a lot of things and already on several online RV forums looking at the merits as well as drawbacks of the larger rigs.

More specifically with this post, I am looking to find out how the rigs do getting into and out of our properties. Which models are better quality, what brands you like, why you chose diesel over gas, and any special tidbits of information you have gleaned over the years?

Thank you in advance. popc

Glenn Peroni

Diesel RV

Hey Michael, my family and I are in an RV almost identical to the one in the picture Brian sent to you. Notice where the front axle is in relation to the driver. This will have a larger turning radius than one with the axle under the driver. However, once you learn to accommodate for that the differences start to shine in this “semi-style” front end. We love our Renegade. For many reasons. Super solid in a straight line when driving so it is easy to drive, easy engine access for whatever, million mile engine because it was made for 80k lbs. in a semi, parts and repair have been easy, and also....if you ever have a front end accident....the nose on this one adds another zone of protection. I could go on and on. Tap back if I can be of more help.
Glenn Peroni
Master A #314
More famous as dad to three amazing FTR kids.

Michael Rewis

NOMAD RACING
Thank you for responding Glenn. I'm looking at a lot of different units right now. If I recall correctly, didn't you get an Outlaw initially? It was like a Motorhome with a toy hauler in the back?

What made you decide to upgrade?

Randy Faul

FTR President
FTR Official
Club Representative
Just a thought,
Try and find one without using the DEF, going to have to go back several years but one less item to have to deal with when they have issues. Also think about one that Brian posted, they are basically on a semi chassis which can carry a bigger load and are more heavy duty. I maintain a showhauler for a race buddy that is a twin screw, Mercedes engine on a frieghtliner chassis and they are solid and drives like a car.
Not knowing your budget, buying anything used do your homework or take somebody with you that knows what to look for. Check the dates on the tires for one.

Michael Rewis

NOMAD RACING
Just a thought,
Try and find one without using the DEF, going to have to go back several years but one less item to have to deal with when they have issues. Also think about one that Brian posted, they are basically on a semi chassis which can carry a bigger load and are more heavy duty. I maintain a showhauler for a race buddy that is a twin screw, Mercedes engine on a frieghtliner chassis and they are solid and drives like a car.
Not knowing your budget, buying anything used do your homework or take somebody with you that knows what to look for. Check the dates on the tires for one.
Appreciate you chiming in Randy. My plan has been to find a pre-2007-8 era diesel pusher, all along. Mainly because of the pre-emmisions diesel issues and a lot of the depreciation has already taken place. I have been doing tons of homework, looking at different units and learning all the systems/features for a wants/needs list.

I did know about the tire dates and that RV tires usually are a time expiration issue, not usually a mileage issue with these rigs.

Looking for a sub $80K higher end rig, that has been well cared for with a 10K generator, 100 gallon water tank, and north of 350 HP.

Glenn Peroni

Thank you for responding Glenn. I'm looking at a lot of different units right now. If I recall correctly, didn't you get an Outlaw initially? It was like a Motorhome with a toy hauler in the back?

What made you decide to upgrade?
We did have an Outlaw. The low engine torque, low horsepower and poor handling were all contributors to our decision to change. The final straw was that if we loaded all of us (5) in it with all our gear it would have been well overloaded. ( see GVWR). We were planning a long trip into mountainous terrain and we did not want hydraulic brakes trying to manage an overloaded RV after it had just struggled to get up the overpass, or mountain pass. In all fairness, all these items can be altered with aftermarket parts or software.
Re Randy: We absolutely enjoy our ‘04 without the DEF. 8 mpg whether towing or not. Plenty of torque, air brakes, engine braking. www. Racingjunk.com is where we found ours.

RJ Huss

Michael,
Just my .02 from my set up which is similar to your description. I have a 2007 Tiffin Pheaton, 40' with the Mercedes Diesel 330HP on the freightliner chassis that I purchased under the budget you listed. I can sleep 6 grown adults and the dinette can hold 2 children. Bob Tiffin, and his three sons still work in the family owned business out of Red Bay, AL and they produce a quality unit. Mine is 13 years old with 105K miles on it, still functions flawlessly with regular and preventative maintenance. The Mercedes 330 has plenty of power and pulls an enclosed 24' race trailer with ease. I also use the motorhome some for work and recently took the RV and Enclosed trailer out to Gulfport, Mississippi for a month. I cruised down I-75 and I-10 at 68 - 70 MPH no problem while being loaded down. The only thing I keep in the back of my mind is with the tongue of the trailer added, I am rolling about 70' down the road. Just giving myself plenty of room around me while traveling with other vehicles, changing lanes, wide turns, and plenty of stopping distance. Things you would normally do and anticipate from that length whether it is a big trailer or RV.

As far as the entry into the races, most clubs/tracks expect all sizes of rigs and do a good job for thinking about units getting in and maneuvering around the pit area to get a spot. The only issue I have dealt with on a few occasions is the initial entry gate can be either a tight turn into it from a narrow road or the gate itself is tight, however I have gotten in every time so far. I typically try to arrive on Fridays to get in with less traffic and I always set myself up for an easier exit instead of getting blocked in. Feel free to reach out with any questions. Hope that helps.

Tiffin quality is the best of all the "every man's RVs". Friend of mine has had an RV dealership for over 25 years and claims that Tiffin is one of the only brand names that stand behind their product. We bought our fifth RV late last year, Entegra super C, quality is by far the best we've had, we've driven it about 11,000 in 6 months.