Converting OHV-titled Bike to street legal dual sport

Larry Kuhn

I'm looking for input on converting any OHV titled bike to street legal dual sport. If you have attempted the process, please give me a holler.

Last edited:

scott corlett

if you have the green off road only sticker from the state & that title has been branded. I don't think that you can in Florida, but people have had some luck in other states. I'm sure that someone smarter than me will chime in with the states that will do this

Shaun Foutch

Yeah, no luck in FL if the title says offroad. Only option is to go out of state and bring it back. I researched this for a year and finally gave up and bought a KTM! LOL

Troy Weeks

if you have the green off road only sticker from the state & that title has been branded. I don't think that you can in Florida, but people have had some luck in other states. I'm sure that someone smarter than me will chime in with the states that will do this
I've always heard the same.
I'd love to make my KX450 Street Legal.

Mike McGuire

I contacted these guys and they claim they can get anything legal by registering it out of state etc. but I've heard rumors lately that Florida was going to close the loophole. The only reason I didn't go forward with mine is that I only have a MSO and it would ad another step and make it cost more than it's worth to me.

Larry Kuhn

A current member of DDR told me that he called DMV in Rapid City. He was told that as long as the bike has never been titled he could title and tag his off-road bike. So, he has a South Dakota street legal tag.

Dmv types in the vin and it reads anything other than mc under (type) you can not title it as street use. It must read MC to tag in Fl. Type cannot be changed no matter what state the bike has been tagged. So if you try to tag the bike out of state and think just transfer it to Fl it will not work if it reads off road under type. With a out of state tag you have 10 days to register it if employed in the state, have children in school or have residency in Fl.

Last edited:

Brent Taylor

Dmv types in the vin and it reads anything other than mc under (type) you can not title it as street use. It must read MC to tag in Fl. Type cannot be changed no matter what state the bike has been tagged. So if you try to tag the bike out of state and think just transfer it to Fl it will not work if it reads off road under type. With a out of state tag you have 10 days to register it if employed in the state, have children in school or have residency in Fl.
sorry for bringing an old thread back, but for those searching this topic. A way around that is by simply starting a LLC. or Inc. in the state you want to register the bike, and register it under the corp. name and just leave that tag on it. It'll cost a little more to do all the corp paperwork every year, but it'll be cheaper than a new KTM

sorry for bringing an old thread back, but for those searching this topic. A way around that is by simply starting a LLC. or Inc. in the state you want to register the bike, and register it under the corp. name and just leave that tag on it. It'll cost a little more to do all the corp paperwork every year, but it'll be cheaper than a new KTM

Yes will work along with proof of you being owner of the company and taxes paid. Also if not owner affidavit from the owner he let you register the bike under the company's name.

The Vermont title loophole looks pretty easy and inexpensive. Don't think you get an actual title in hand but do get Vermont registration and a tag.

Jorge Colon

Dirtlegal.com i have my side by side with SD plates. Also i taggeg a yz426 uears ago i bought a frame with a tagged in Colorado and transfered to Fl.