Jessy Nelson Interview - TWMX - unfortunate...

Shaun Foutch

This thing we do, riding and racing dirt bikes and quads has it's inherent dangers. While there may not be any appropriate gear that would have prevented this specific injury, I feel the need to ask why some racers choose to participate without all the protective gear possible.

I know there are debates back and forth about neck braces, helmets, chest/back protection, etc.

Personally I wear a top end helmet, neck brace, hard chest/back protection because I have a history of two herniated disc in my lower back and two in my neck.

Anyway, this is a good and very sad read on Jessy's progress...

http://motocross.transworld.net/news/jessy-nelson-seven-weeks-later/#KcqB2DiLzhVmI8aG.97

Gary Wyatt

Life Member
This thing we do, riding and racing dirt bikes and quads has it's inherent dangers. While there may not be any appropriate gear that would have prevented this specific injury, I feel the need to ask why some racers choose to participate without all the protective gear possible.
Life is about choices.

It is unfortunate what has happened to Jessie. I can only pray that Jessie is able to make a full recovery and go on with his life as before. If he doesn't recover fully there are many choices and changes he will have to make in his life

Those of us that chose to ride or race motorcycles, or for that part live life have to understand there are no guarantees. Hopefully if Jessie doesn't regain his normal body functions due to the paralysis he will accept his life's destiny and deal with it. Life is by far not over if he, once again, "CHOOSES" to accept his impairments and make the best of what he has left.

Scott McGourley

Is this better Robert?----

Whenever we hear about something like this, we sorta get tunnel vision. Today dirt bike tragedy's are communicated online and we all hear about it. This has us take a look at what we do. We worry about what will happen to us. Well if the same thing happened with car accidents, you would never get in your car again. (2015 2.35 million injured or disabled 37,000 dead in the us) Two weeks ago, one of my employees and her kids were killed in a head on collision. Total tragedy. What I am saying is, that although this could happen to any of us, so can a number of other things that happen to ordinary people every day. The perspective can't be that if you ride a motorcycle you are taking a huge risk of a tragedy. Yes it can happen, and if you don't ride it won't. However you might just wind up in some other tragedy instead. I don't feel like the number of dirt bike tragedy's is high. Other action sports are much worse. I am not even sure that dirt bike riding is more dangerous then downhill skiing.

I came across this article about mountain biking. Its a similar situation. http://www.singletracks.com/blog/uncategorized/mountain-bike-deaths/

I have followed Jessy's career and this tragedy. He is such a cool kid. There is hope of a recovery and I wish him all the best.

Last edited:

Frank Geremia

Great Post..

He seems like a great kid and this is a great opportunity to learn, the course had these markers staked into the ground, i watched the video of the crash and all I can say is WOW...

Those should NEVER have been staked into the ground like that..if that marker just had a little give this likely would not have been such a serious issue..IMO

I wish jessy all the best in his recovery, my DAD has the exact same Injury T4-T5.. and is paralyzed... Its a daily battle.