Racing with Cardiac "imperfections"

Thomas Glancy

So I had a minor heart attack last week and had a stent put in to open up an artery that was clogged 90-95%. I have two others that are 50% restricted. I feel great since the procedure lgrand, but I wonder how many other guys are out there racing with stents and/or known clogged arteries. The Dr. Says I need to be off the bike 4-6 months, mostly because of the risk of bleeding from the blood thinners.

How Many other Cardiac Kids are out there and how fast did you return to racing?

Thanks,
TG

Shaun Foutch

Wow! Sorry to hear and hope you heal up and can get back out there soon! What a surprise! I sincerely wish the best for ya!

Peter Rose

FTR Vice President
FTR Official
Club Representative
I know a Quad Master has a history of heart issues, I think open heart surgery, he is still fast as ever.

Last edited by a moderator:

ROBERT D'ANGELO

Hope you get well soon Tom.Isn't it crazy how you could be racing enduros feeling like a 20 year old kid one minute then the next minute your laying in a hospital bed,NOT from racing.I feel for you I went through it earlier this year.

Steve Miller

Tom, I just had a total knee replacement and feeling great but not going to get on bike until DOC says I can. Doctors have more experience than I do at this, so listen to you DOC and return to racing ASAP.

racing1

Dalton Ellis

My collarbone took me 3 months because they had me on blood thinners for some reason. Think it has to do with my past medical history with cancer and allergies to medications

Thomas McGinity

I'll share my story as it was a game changer for me. While not exactly the same situation, I have what I consider a pretty cool story.
Most all my life I had a very leaking mitral valve causing blood regurgitation (back flow). I saw a cardiologist most of my adult life. When I turned 40 it was quite bad and they figured we should fix it. If the surgery went well, I would have a "repair" of the valve. If not, I was going to wake up with a foreign valve in my heart. I was pretty much scared to death.

I found that the best heart surgery center was Cleveland Clinic in Ohio. My pregnant wife and I got on a plane and went there. I underwent robotic heart surgery. I believe I was their 50th case using robotic for heart valve work. My surgeon was not even in the room. He was at a control center in a nearby room. They cut the heart open and repaired the valve seat with a reinforcement ring- Dacron similar material. 4 days later I rode my dirt bike around my yard. Just one lap. While in recovery to celebrate I bought a KTM 200, my second new bike in my life, and we had our first child.

Now, I raced some C class MX in college. I raced about 5 HS in FTR just before the surgery in Senior C class. I never won a race and third was about as good as it got for me. But after surgery I went on a winning rampage and won Senior C. Next season I won Senior B (in one year!). Then I got to A and all that winning stopped but you can't have it all. I still get checked out yearly, and my reports show perfect flow. All clear to shred. Ride hard.

Thomas Glancy

Awesome!

Great Story Tom,
I hope to turn this into a real positive and be back stronger than ever after my rehab. I did win my first race in the middle of last season and finished strong, so maybe with the improved blood flow, I can really get after it in Silver Master B class in the future!
Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. I will miss my FTR family over the coming months but will try to get out to a few events to keep in touch.

TG

Troy Weeks

You need to talk to Ken Harris. He suffered a heart attack 2 or 3 years ago, switched to quads and seems to be doing well.

Ken Harris

Tom,
You must do what the Dr. says.
I have had 2 open heart surgeries. Now I have a artificial aortic valve and a pace maker/defibulator. I've never felt better.
Every time Donny sees me heading to the line, he shakes his head. I know that he is wondering if today is the day. lol
My Dr. said no more racing dirt bikes, because of the fact that when you go to slow you tend to tip over and end up all bruised up. ( Because of the blood thinners )
So I convinced him that quads would be much safer, because of 4 wheels, and they must be more stabile. He has never seen a quad race and agreed to my madness. That was in the beginning of 2012.
The only thing that I can tell you is please don't ride over your head. And remember that every time you get to race it's a blessing. Have fun!!!
I do still have a 2 wheeled race bike, but I feel that I feel safer on my quad. Probably a false sense of security. I just will not take any chances, its just not worth it.
While on vacation, a couple of years ago, I rolled my wife's quad. This resulted in a tear at my adrenal glad and kidney, and knocked some gall stones loose. This caused for a lot of pain, ALOT of bruising from internal bleeding, and quite a few days in the hospital. The Dr's were scared mostly because of the blood thinners.
Just use your sense and try to remember why we do this. It's fun and all of our friends are there.

Thomas Glancy

Iron Man!

You are an inspiration Ken. Thanks for the advice and encouragement. We'll take it as it comes for a while.

Keep up the good fight to keep doing what you love!

Ken Harris

Pete,
You know that I will only ride as fast as I am comfortable. There is no way that I will ever catch those guys up front.

Donny Richardson

Rider Safety Coordinator
FTR Official
Good morning all, just want to take a minute and remind everyone who hasn't completed the RFID - safety tag to please do so. For those that have remember if you have changes in medical history, medications, allergies, or even home address etc, please fill out another from and I will redo your tag to reflect the accurate information. This information could save your life in the event of a traumatic/medical event during a race. It only takes a few minutes to complete the form, no cost to FTR members and simply place on your helmet.
As many have said, please follow your physicians advice, they do know best. As Ken mentioned, I may shake my head a bit but I completely understand.... racing is what we do. With that said, please let me know if you are returning to racing post a major medical issue so I can keep an eye on you to make sure you can race long into the future. Remember your safety team can be found usually parked near the sign up trailer (look for the American flag with the EMS flag below). Stop by at any time if you need something, we are here for you.

See everyone in Punta Gorda.
goracing
Donny Richardson
Rider Safety Coordinator