Rotator Cuff Surgery Tody

Dr! Still Bill

Administrator
Club Representative
Well. Had rotator cuff surgery today. Went well. Arrived at 8AM, supposed to start at 10:30, but was delayed until about 2. Had a good nap. I elected NOT to get the nerve block. Have had them before, and hate the numb all-over feeling, and itching as it wears off. Pain right when I woke up was about a 7+? They kept giving me more IV Dilaudid until I was quite buzzed (walls were melting), then some oxy pills. Got home 2 hours ago and had a nice "nap" (twilight zone). Feel pretty good now - not too buzzed, and pain is a 3 - maybe less if I stay very still in just the right position. Glad I skipped the nerve block. Throat and mouth SO DRY! Haven't eaten in 22 hours, but not hungry - drinking lots of water and had a quart of OJ.

Doc had graft ready (capsular reconstruction) in case the tendons were too shot to repair, but did not need. Said tendons were great, and I should get back to full strength. Recovery time shorter without graft.

I planned ahead and have a nice new recliner to sleep in. Ordered 6 Chinese back scratchers. Hose attachment for shower, and long scrub brush. Made sandwiches in advance, and got some heat&eat frozen foods. New hot-tub ready to go - a few days to wait though.

Dr! Still Bill

Administrator
Club Representative
Feeling pretty good. 5 days after now. No pain at all - unless I move wrong. Much better than my last time about 6 years ago - probably because this was just 2 tendons. Last one was major joint damage (RC, Labrum, Biceps tendon, AC-sep, dislocation).

Dr! Still Bill

Administrator
Club Representative
I also asked the doctor to re-connect my go-fast glands when I was on the table. Apparently, they got disconnected when I had surgery after my bad crash several years ago.

Dr! Still Bill

Administrator
Club Representative
Based on the written surgery report my doc gave, this is the system he used for my RC repair. I find it interesting. Maybe others will also.

Animated Video:

More detailed animation (for doctors):

Actual video (on cadaver):

Dr! Still Bill

Administrator
Club Representative
Well, almost 8 weeks since surgery. Doing great! Almost full range of motion. Still can't do any lifting, but feels normal until I try to use it. The worst part of everything was the sleep deprivation. I was not able to sleep for more than 1 hour at a time for at least 2 weeks. Not from pain really, but from discomfort, and not being able to lie on my side. Two days ago, I did some light jeep road riding at eh blueberry farm. Felt great to be in the woods on a bike again!

If anyone has questions about rotator cuff surgery, I will be happy to answer.

Allan Santor

Good to hear Bill. I'm sure you're itching to get back on the trail like the rest of us.
Be safe,
Allan Santor
FTR Class 66 #17x
SADRA
AMA

Shaun Foutch

Sounds like yours went better than mine. I agree 100% on the sleep... I should've taken all the advice I was given to buy a recliner!