Rule Change Proposal to Clarify MID SEASON

Troy Weeks

I believe there is to much "WIGGLE ROOM" in the current rule. I think mid season should be a determined date that does not change due to cancelled or rescheduled races. We should be better riders not better mathematicians than our fellow competitors.

I propose the following rule change to invoke clarity to the date and include Bill's proposal to change it to 60% from 50%.
I wish to present this rule change to the Hare Scramble Committee for Consideration. I have searched the rule book front to back and believe this is the only place the change is relevant.

Current Rule
Chapter VII Hare Scrambles Scoring
Section C Paragraph 2

C. Rider Advancement
2. For all lowest division classes (Ex: Specialty and Displacement C Classes, etc), with the exception of the Golden Master, Silver Master, Pre-Modern, Women’s, Evo and Youth Classes, when 25 advancement points are accrued, the rider is promoted to the next higher division. All youth B riders will advance when 30 advancement points are accrued. For all other classes, except youth-C riders, the advancement point is at 45 points. When advancement is earned or the points are accrued, at or prior to the first fifty percent (50%) of the proposed and approved season sanctions, the rider is promoted immediately and will then take 90% of the points awarded in the lower class to the higher class. When the points are accrued after 50% or more of the scheduled events have been completed, the rider can remain in the lower class for the remainder of the season and the promotion will take effect at the start of the next competition season. However, riders voluntarily advancing themselves to a higher division after 50% of the scheduled events have been completed will carry no points to the higher division. Points earned in the lower division will remain in the lower division.

Changes in RED and Underlined

Section C Paragraph 2

C. Rider Advancement
2. For all lowest division classes (Ex: Specialty and Displacement C Classes, etc), with the exception of the Golden Master, Silver Master, Pre-Modern, Women’s, Evo and Youth Classes, when 25 advancement points are accrued, the rider is promoted to the next higher division. All youth B riders will advance when 30 advancement points are accrued. For all other classes, except youth-C riders, the advancement point is at 45 points. When advancement is earned or the points are accrued, at or prior to the first SIXTY percent 60% of the proposed and approved season sanctions, the rider is promoted immediately and will then take 90% of the points awarded in the lower class to the higher class. When the points are accrued after (60%) of the proposed and approved season sanctions the rider can remain in the lower class for the remainder of the season and the promotion will take effect at the start of the next competition season. However, riders voluntarily advancing themselves to a higher division after 50% of the scheduled events have been completed will carry no points to the higher division. Points earned in the lower division will remain in the lower division

Dr! Still Bill

Administrator
Club Representative
I have moved Mike Rewis' thread about this to this forum from the Forum Rules section.

The problem I see with your proposal, as worded, is, for instance:
13 events proposed and approved at beginning of year, making race 8 the cut-off. For the sake of argument, race 8 is scheduled for February 15th. Two early races are postponed to April, making February 15th now race 6. Are you saying to keep that race as cutoff? Not clear.

I am not passing judgement on your intent, only the wording. (You also need to change the 50% in last sentence).

Perhaps instead:

2. For all lowest division classes (Ex: Specialty and Displacement C Classes, etc), with the exception of the Golden Master, Silver Master, Pre-Modern, Women’s, Evo and Youth Classes, when 25 advancement points are accrued, the rider is promoted to the next higher division. All youth B riders will advance when 30 advancement points are accrued. For all other classes, except youth-C riders, the advancement point is at 45 points. The cutoff date for promotions shall be established at the beginning of the season as 60% of the number of proposed and approved sanctions scheduled at the beginning of the season. When enough advancement points for promotion are earned at or before the cutoff date, the rider is promoted immediately and will then take 90% of the points awarded in the lower class to the higher class. When the points are earned after the cutoff date the rider can remain in the lower class for the remainder of the season and the promotion will take effect at the start of the next competition season. However, riders voluntarily advancing themselves to a higher division after 60% of the scheduled events have been completed will carry no points to the higher division. Points earned in the lower division will remain in the lower division.

I think this captures what you intended, but I suggest to make the 50 to 60% part a separate proposal. I still prefer my version though:
"When advancement is earned or the points are accrued at, or prior to, the first fifty percent (50%) of the the total number of events currently on the official schedule, the rider is promoted immediately and will then take 90% of the points awarded in the lower class to the higher class. When the points are accrued after, 50% or more of the events currently on the official schedule have been completed, the rider can remain in the lower class for the remainder of the season and the promotion will take effect at the
start of the next competition season."

Last edited:

Troy Weeks

Self promotion doesn't have to follow points promotion as far as 50 or 60% is concerned but it can. And yes the mid season point shouldn't change. As you pointed out the first half of the rule "is based on proposed and approved schedule" to mean the sanctioned races approved by FTR and officially on the schedule. If you take that for what it is it does not define a moving point it is static based on the schedule.

Troy Weeks

for the purpose of Bill's call out
Current Rule
Section C Paragraph 2

C. Rider Advancement
2. For all lowest division classes (Ex: Specialty and Displacement C Classes, etc), with the exception of the Golden Master, Silver Master, Pre-Modern, Women’s, Evo and Youth Classes, when 25 advancement points are accrued, the rider is promoted to the next higher division. All youth B riders will advance when 30 advancement points are accrued. For all other classes, except youth-C riders, the advancement point is at 45 points. When advancement is earned or the points are accrued, at or prior to the first fifty percent (50%) of the proposed and approved season sanctions, the rider is promoted immediately and will then take 90% of the points awarded in the lower class to the higher class. When the points are accrued after 50% or more of the scheduled events have been completed, the rider can remain in the lower class for the remainder of the season and the promotion will take effect at the start of the next competition season. However, riders voluntarily advancing themselves to a higher division after 50% of the scheduled events have been completed will carry no points to the higher division. Points earned in the lower division will remain in the lower division.

Changes in RED and Underlined

Section C Paragraph 2

C. Rider Advancement
2. For all lowest division classes (Ex: Specialty and Displacement C Classes, etc), with the exception of the Golden Master, Silver Master, Pre-Modern, Women’s, Evo and Youth Classes, when 25 advancement points are accrued, the rider is promoted to the next higher division. All youth B riders will advance when 30 advancement points are accrued. For all other classes, except youth-C riders, the advancement point is at 45 points. When advancement is earned or the points are accrued, at or prior to the first SIXTY percent 60% of the proposed and approved season sanctions, the rider is promoted immediately and will then take 90% of the points awarded in the lower class to the higher class. When the points are accrued after (60%) of the proposed and approved season sanctions the rider can remain in the lower class for the remainder of the season and the promotion will take effect at the start of the next competition season. However, riders voluntarily advancing themselves to a higher division after 60% of the scheduled events have been completed will carry no points to the higher division. Points earned in the lower division will remain in the lower division

Dr! Still Bill

Administrator
Club Representative
On a similar note - I think this needs to be re-worded too. Should say something like "total number of events held in the season" instead of "sanctioned events".

6. Year-end class and overall positions will be based on 70% of the sanctioned events. Rounding will be done to the nearest
whole number with .50 being rounded up. FTR High Point and class winners will be determined at the end of the year and will
receive awards at the annual FTR awards banquet. To qualify for year-end awards in the FTR Hare Scrambles Series, a rider must
enter at least 50% of the sanctioned events that year. A worked run can count as an entry.