May 8th and 9th
Brought to you by FTR volunteers
Bartow, FL
http://www.floridatrailriders.org/flyer/10_season/HS-14-Benefit.pdf
http://www.floridatrailriders.org/articles/20100402b.htm

goracing

Gregory Bryant
04-27-2010, 11:37 AM
Is there going to be a Fun Run at this event since we have more daylight hours????

Kevin Vaughan
04-27-2010, 06:43 PM
Will there be a Holeshot award at this race?racerfast. Cant wait for this LAST race!

Gregory Bryant
04-29-2010, 09:38 AM
Will there be a Holeshot award at this race?racerfast. Cant wait for this LAST race!

To bad they didnt have one at Dade City hiya2

Tom Miller
04-29-2010, 09:44 AM
Definately! Nice holeshot Kevin.

Jack Terrell
04-29-2010, 04:11 PM
There seems to be a misconception that the May 8-9 FTR Benefit hare scrambles in Bartow is being put on by the Sunrunners Motorcycle Club. The event is being put on by FTR as a whole, and we need FTR clubs and FTR members to step up as volunteers to make this event happen.

Members of Sunrunners volunteered to make arrangements for the land and have been laying out the course, grinding the track, clearing new trail through new gullies and up new hills, etc. Sunrunners is not doing sign-up, back-up scoring, or many of the other administrative tasks required on the weekend of the race. This information was explained at the last hare scrambles meeting but for some reason many FTR clubs and members apparently did not get the word.

FTR needs help this weekend (May 1st & 2nd) putting up arrows, posts, clearing trail, etc. If you come out to help this weekend you can camp on the property Saturday night and the Peewee track will be open for a few hours for volunteer worker's kids. It is not an open practice session. If you come be prepared to work if your kids want to ride. Bring your work gloves, staplers, staples, hammers, loppers, etc. I am sure we can arrange an early evening trail ride for workers and their families.

FTR needs volunteers to help on Saturday & Sunday of the event (May 8-9). We need help with sign-up and t-shirt sales and trophy presentations. We need help from course marshalls. We need help in the starting area.

Members of Off-Road Racing Ministries have stepped up to provide volunteers to do the back-up scoring at the chicane the weekend of the event.

Can your club or you as an individual FTR member help out? Please send me an email or call me at 863-370-2686 if you can help us make this a successful FTR event.

Jack Terrell

Kevin Vaughan
04-29-2010, 06:03 PM
Definately! Nice holeshot Kevin.

Thanks, if i could only learn to stay up front when i get there!

Jack, I will be coming friday night. I will help all day Saturday on the course if needed, sweep, tow in broken down bikes etc etc. I will call you this evening. Maybe i can even get my wife to help with tshirt sales Saturday.

Gregory Bryant
04-29-2010, 08:15 PM
Jack,
I will be there for Tech both days as well as helping at the start.

I would be willing to help with a fun run.

Josh Mann
04-30-2010, 09:02 AM
I will be there to help on Sat the 8th were ever Im needed.

Quad
C Open 17c

Jack Terrell
05-03-2010, 08:19 PM
Thanks, if i could only learn to stay up front when i get there!

Jack, I will be coming friday night. I will help all day Saturday on the course if needed, sweep, tow in broken down bikes etc etc. I will call you this evening. Maybe i can even get my wife to help with tshirt sales Saturday.

Thanks Kevin.

We can use all the help we can get.

Jack

Jack Terrell
05-03-2010, 08:20 PM
Jack,
I will be there for Tech both days as well as helping at the start.

I would be willing to help with a fun run.

Thanks Gregory. The tech crew does a great job.

More on a fun run later today.

Jack Terrell

Jack Terrell
05-03-2010, 08:22 PM
I will be there to help on Sat the 8th were ever Im needed.

Quad
C Open 17c

Thanks Josh

Come see us at sign-up when you get there.

Jack Terrell

Jack Terrell
05-03-2010, 08:26 PM
More Information about HS #14

The Peewee track will be in the same area that we used at the Sunrunners HS in November. The Peewees will be able to ride there in the afternoon after their races are over IF they are supervised by their parents. The track is laid out under the oak trees and it is a great place to watch the kids.

Jack Terrell

Jack Terrell
05-03-2010, 08:31 PM
Fun Run at HS #14

There will be a fun run at HS #14. It will start about 6PM. It will be run like a poker run. Everybody will get to make 3 laps around a 3-mile course. We cannot use more of the track since our crews will be out re-routing/re-arrowing the course to switch it over to Sunday's course. The prize for the winner of the poker run will be free ticket to the FTR banquet in August.

Jack Terrell
05-03-2010, 08:38 PM
Saturday's course will be about 6.5 miles long. About 4 miles of it is brand new trail. Wherever we have used trail from our previous event we have taken a skidsteer and a mixer/grinder to loosen and resurface the trail. There will be elevation changes. We have imported several truckloads of sand to give you about 40 feet of sand to run through. There will be no sandy whoops - no palmetto roots. The fast guys should be able to turn laps in the 16-18 minute range.

It will be typical mid-May weather so start hydrating now.

Troy Weeks
05-03-2010, 08:41 PM
I've been working with the guys for the past 4 weeks on the property. Everyone should absolutely love the course as they are using the contour of the land to the max.
One thing for sure old mining land gives us in an otherwise flat florida is elevation changes. They've laid out a great course with the property.

Jack Terrell
05-03-2010, 08:48 PM
OK, here is the scoop on Sunday's course.

It is about 10-11 miles long. It heads west and south out of the camping area so you will be riding some interesting terrain, wind through some planted pines and revisit the cowpens, skirt Sand Lake and Mud Lake, and work your way back to the camping area. A lot of new trail has been cut using a powered mulcher, and a grinder/mixer has been used on any trail that we have used before. It uses only short sections of Saturday's course. It will not be a pasture race. We expect 25-minute lap times.

Be sure to hydrate before and during the race.

A word of warning: We will be running a section called alligator alley. It has some granddaddy size alligators. Do not go swimming in the lake there!

Kevin Vaughan
05-03-2010, 08:50 PM
Sweet!

ed lukosavich
05-03-2010, 09:06 PM
We drove up Sunday to give Jack's family & crew a hand, we spent more hours in the truck (5 hours)than we worked. Wish we could of stayed longer but had to do a early Mother's day dinner. Jack's crew that has been working on the track has done a phenomenal job. From what we seen it looks to be a fun track. Please pitch in & help, again this is not put on by a Club and need as many volunteer's as possible.

Jack Terrell
05-03-2010, 09:06 PM
We always are asked how many trophies are you giving out at this race? The answer is about 200. That is a lot of trophies - you do the math. If we get 500 riders that averages out to about 1 trophy per every 2.5 riders. We are not going cheap on the number oftrophies.

Next question is how do you decide how many trophies each class gets? That is where it gets a little tricky. We have to order the trophies in advance, and there is no accurate crystal ball that will tell us how many riders will show up in each class on any given weekend. So we have to make an educated guess a week before the race.

This is how we guessed it. We took the numbers in each class at the Sunrunners November race, we also took the numbers in each class for HS #13, and then we looked at overall class standings through HS #12 and made a calculated guess about how many riders had their yearend positions locked up and probably would not come to HS #14. We averaged all three of these subtotals and ordered the trophies based on the resulting average. What it means is that if your class averaged at least 6 riders based on our calculations (not just the last race), your class will get at least 3 trophies. We used a sliding scale that will award up to 7 trophies in the really large classes. We went extra heavy on trophies for peewees and minis.

I hope this answers your questions about trophies.

Jack Terrell
05-03-2010, 09:10 PM
We drove up Sunday to give Jack's family & crew a hand, we spent more hours in the truck (5 hours)than we worked. Wish we could of stayed longer but had to do a early Mother's day dinner. Jack's crew that has been working on the track has done a phenomenal job. From what we seen it looks to be a fun track. Please pitch in & help, again this is not put on by a Club and need as many volunteer's as possible.

You guys did a great job in the heat of the day. Thanks for making the long trip. Your help was deeply appreciated. You and your guys cleared a bunch of trail and put down a lot of dayglow orange paint for us.

Jack

michael goodman
05-04-2010, 03:06 PM
What areas of help do you need for the race? tech, sweepers, signup, gate, course workers?

Joe Steidl
05-05-2010, 11:23 AM
At this point our biggest need is doing the "club" part of signup, posting scores, giving out trophies, etc.

Jack Terrell
05-05-2010, 04:32 PM
We have the gate covered.

We may need help with tech inspection.

We need someone helping Bill Drymon on the statrting line.

We have several gates on the course that must be manned during the Saturday race. We need people at the gates because they must be open for riders on the course but we cannot let any cattle wander through during practice and during the race. You can get to the gates by truck or ATV, so you can carry out a cooler, drinks, sunscreen, a chair, and some kind of umbrella or EZ Up.

On Sunday we have even more gates to man. You can get to the gates by truck or ATV, so you can carry out a cooler, drinks, sunscreen, a chair, and some kind of umbrella or EZ Up.

We need help with sign-up and t-shirt sales.

Jack Terrell

Jack Terrell
05-05-2010, 04:34 PM
Also need sweepers and course marshals.

Jack Terrell
05-05-2010, 04:37 PM
This weekend is Mother's Day, and we know you kids and dads will want to be doing something for Mom.

Well, FTR will be doing something for her. We will have a gift for every rider's Mom, and we will have a table with craft supplies so the kids can make their own cards for Mom.

Not that you would have forgotten Mom.

Jack Terrell
05-05-2010, 04:39 PM
Yes, we will have a fun run at 6PM on Saturday.

Entry fee is $10.

One lucky entrant will win a gift certificate for a free ticket to the FTR Awards Banquet.

Michael Dinsmore
05-05-2010, 08:05 PM
Will anyone be posting a little video of the course so we can see what to expect for this benefit race. It would be nice to know what changes need to be made to the bike.

Mike Dinsmore
Vet-C #25
KX450F

ed lukosavich
05-05-2010, 08:23 PM
Will anyone be posting a little video of the course so we can see what to expect for this benefit race. It would be nice to know what changes need to be made to the bike.

Mike Dinsmore
Vet-C #25
KX450F

There was very few volunteers this weekend, I only seen one person made a lap while we there and no camera. Just gonna have to wing it.

Steve Johnson
05-05-2010, 09:14 PM
Yes, we will have a fun run at 6PM on Saturday.

Entry fee is $10.

One lucky entrant will win a gift certificate for a free ticket to the FTR Awards Banquet.

Do you have to be a FTR member to ride the fun run ?? My wife is thinking about joining next year to race, but I would like her to have a chance to ride the trail to see what it's really like if she can ?? Thanks, SJ

Gregory Bryant
05-06-2010, 07:30 AM
Do you have to be a FTR member to ride the fun run ?? My wife is thinking about joining next year to race, but I would like her to have a chance to ride the trail to see what it's really like if she can ?? Thanks, SJ

NO FTR membership required for the fun run....that the whole point for the fun run. pay, sign a waiver and ride lgrand

sean malloy
05-06-2010, 06:11 PM
did the property get any of the rain we got here in ocala? i think we got 6 inches in 24 hours

Steve Johnson
05-06-2010, 07:02 PM
NO FTR membership required for the fun run....that the whole point for the fun run. pay, sign a waiver and ride lgrand

That's what I thought, just wanted to make sure though.. Thanks, SJ

Mike Belle
05-06-2010, 07:42 PM
did the property get any of the rain we got here in ocala? i think we got 6 inches in 24 hours

WOW, we only got 1/2 inch in North Tampa and none in Brooksville! It would probably be great if they did get a little, but 6 inches might be too much.

goracing

Mike

Rocky Gavins
05-06-2010, 08:36 PM
A quick tour thru the Weather Chanel for Bartow indicated that they had little to no rain, so get busy packing the camper and prepping the bikes.

goracing

Ty Thomas
05-07-2010, 04:07 PM
I'll be there Sunday morning to help out.....

Troy Weeks
05-07-2010, 05:35 PM
I'm only 20 minutes away from the property in Wauchula. We got not a drop of rain here.