FTR Forums  

Go Back   FTR Forums > Race Event Discussions > MotoCross

Old 03-30-2012, 02:37 PM
FTR President

Default Attention MX Enthusiasts

We are very near the end of this season and it is almost time to fill in next year’s schedule.

I have not seen any efforts to revitalize the series. I have seen allot of ideas thrown around but I haven't seen anyone step up and try to get anything done. As of right now we have a MX chairman with no MX committee.
Without a committee we are unable to do anything for the MX series.

If I don't see any effort in the near future I will be recommending that we terminate the MX series due to lack of interest.
I will be basing that decision on the lack of ridership in the past seasons, the lack of a current MX committee and the fact that no one is bringing any proposals to the EC.

We need ideas BUT more importantly we need action. SOON!!!

EVO SR "A"
KX 250

SSR "A"
KX 250 F

S.A.D.R.A.

Old School Dirt Riders

555 "A"
Old 03-30-2012, 03:58 PM

I don't see the need for a committee for MX. Maybe FTR as a whole, but I believe it would make the operation of a series easier if left up to a couple of people who know about MX and what MX needs to survive. The MX series in my opinion, and I've said it before needs to be it's own entity to survive. Stop focusing on getting FTR members out there to attend and worry about getting MX racers out there. It seems MX in general in Florida has deteriorated in quality over the last 5-10 years. Except for your majors. Same people, doing the same series's, on the same tracks, etc. Time for a change and FTR has a chance to get out of the rut that has been the low standard of MX for a while here in the sunshine state.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:15 AM

And.............no responses. I seem to end a lot of threads 'round these parts.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:28 PM

I have to admit of front that before 2012, I've only took part one FTR event (Straight Arrow enduro about 5 years ago). And this year I've only ran 4 hare scrambles so I'm not an expert on how FTR keeps scores or if they combine scores for cross events. Such as...do you get FTR points that combine in some way for an end of the year award if you run enduros, hare scrambles and/or MX.
That said,
I think it might be neat to score points in all series that would count toward a combined score. Kinda like they used to do in the AMA Grand National series. Remember, you had to run road race, TT, short tracks and mile ovals to win a national championship.

I have however helped support Randy Yoho (Dade City MX promoter) to many great vacations over the years by running MX events at Dade City.
I understand that dedicated Motocrossers already have a place to race on a weekly basis. Years ago, we'd race at a different track every sunday. Now lots of MXers get comforable running at their local track every saturday night.
What FTR needs to do is give the dedicated hare scramble rider (their core group) a reason to need to participate in both MX and enduro events.
I helped out at road crossings this year for the Straight Arrow enduro ( with Dixie Dual Sport) and I took notice that hare scramble attendence was far greater than the enduro event.
If you awarded points in a grand national format...i.e. you must run H/S, Enduro and MX events, you would give the necessary incentive to a large group of hare riders that would want to now participate in the MX and enduro events.
Heck, I even ran a few TT events at Dade City in the late 70s...you could throw those in too.

Food for thought!

By the way Randy...don't you moonlight on American Idol?
Master B #74

Because the ride shouldn't end just because the pavement does!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. -Edward Abbey

08 KTM 690
07 KX 450
07 Triumph Tiger 1050
01 XR 70
03 Suzuki 50 quad
05 Yamaha 350 Raptor quad

Last edited by Bert Barnes; 04-07-2012 at 12:18 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:19 PM

Thinking more about the post I made above...You could also score this GN style class separately from the H/S and enduro class. Call it the FTR "Combined" class or something. You might only require riders to participate in a limited number of Enduros and MX events....and take their top three best scores combined with their HS scores.
That way, riders could run the closest races without penalty of having to ride the whole series.
It would also give you an opportunity to grow and tweak the events as time went by.
Just another .02
Master B #74

Because the ride shouldn't end just because the pavement does!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. -Edward Abbey

08 KTM 690
07 KX 450
07 Triumph Tiger 1050
01 XR 70
03 Suzuki 50 quad
05 Yamaha 350 Raptor quad
Old 04-07-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Barnes View Post

By the way Randy...don't you moonlight on American Idol?
Don't think I've ever heard that joke before.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:33 PM

I am by no means an expert on MX tracks/promoting. I have attended a few of these "local series" with my son. We find running the same track all the time against the same people boring. You don't develop your skill riding the same old stuff against the same people. We have made it a mission to try and ride as many tracks as we can. The challenge of a different track and riding with different people is more satisfying. Recently we were at Durhamtown and did all the MX tracks including the Bomber. We will venture up into the panhandle and possibly LA (Lower Alabama) some day.

I like the idea about a GN style "mini series" I race HS and practice MX with my sons. I did a GNCC this year and plan on doing an Enduro soon. Personally the challenge of riding different venues is more fun and makes for a better well rounded rider.

Just a note: In these time of tough economic conditions and few factory sponsorships I have noticed several top level MX guys racing HS and off road events (Matt Boni, Keylons, Jason Lawrence). I figure they do it to stay in shape and get seat time.

Mark C
Master 67B
Old 04-09-2012, 06:43 PM

Lets all get dual sport bikes and do the series two tracks at a time. 5 laps around one track, race to the next track, and 5 laps around it.

Jacob Gilliam
#100 AA
#100 Sportsman

Old 04-27-2012, 02:48 AM

The problem is, all these ideas require rule changes. Within the FTR structure,changes have to go through the MX Committee,and takes a year to take effect.
So, why have to "run what we brung" for now.
Ford, I've already stated I'd support FTR MX any way I can. If that includes being Ref, or whatever, fine. The Charman call me (352-494-6944). obviously, 2 people can't do MX, but I wouldn't be too concerned about being able to fill out an MX Committee.
#466-2012 KTM 300XC,"83 Honda CR 480,'83 YZ 490, and Stud,The Bike
"May the Tutu be with you."
Old 05-01-2012, 10:15 PM

Ford,
Just as a follow, the Who To Contact lists a MX Committee with two rider rep vacancies. Is the website incorrect.
The point being, if there IS a Committee, something can still be done.
#466-2012 KTM 300XC,"83 Honda CR 480,'83 YZ 490, and Stud,The Bike
"May the Tutu be with you."