FTR Forums  

Go Back   FTR Forums > Non-FTR Events > Riding Opportunities

Riding Opportunities Any events or riding opportunities may be posted in this forum as long as the dates do not conflict with events on the FTR schedule.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:57 AM

Default Durhantown vs. Carolina Adventure World

I'm curious if anyone has been to both places, and how you would compare them? I know DT has more mx, but I'm told the CAW trails are more Hare Scramble-like.
Any info is much appreciated! I'll be going to one or the other in mid May.
#466-2012 KTM 300XC,"83 Honda CR 480,'83 YZ 490, and Stud,The Bike
"May the Tutu be with you."
Old 04-02-2012, 07:21 AM

When we were @ CAW, it was very rocky with some serious washouts. Zero shade in the camping area also. We like Durahmtown much better. They have groomed trails, but there are a lot of single track trails. I don't like being there on the w/e though, it gets very crowded and loud.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:58 AM

Durhantown vs. Carolina Adventure World

I haven’t had the pleasure of riding Durhamtown yet but I have ridden Carolina Adventures and Brushy Mountain Motorsports Park, www.bmmspark.com, near Taylorsville, NC. CAW was quite dry and dusty the day we were there but was a lot of fun with a variety of riding similar in many ways to the Mondon Hill Hare Scrambles, with some more rocky and technical sections. If memory serves, they have an MX track or two and a state of the art MC dealership. They also have a nice bike wash area along with a camping area.

Brushy Mountain is on up the road from CAW a hundred miles more or less and as the name suggests is on the side of a mountain. Brushy Mountain has always been premo the times I have been there. Brushy has several MX tracks and a wide variety of marked and well maintained trails from beginner to Enduro AA (or maybe I should say Trials AA). They have marked short cuts back to the office if someone decides they would like to head back to camp on easy trail. We go in June and September so I can’t speak for other times of the year.

Both CAW and Brushy have bath houses so you can shower after your ride. I think CAW has cabins available but I don’t think Brushy does but they do have camping available. Brushy is run by some good old boys who are riders and they are very FTR friendly. If you would like to ride on a day they aren’t open, call ahead and let them know you are FTR and what your situation is and they will try to accommodate you especially if you have a group of riders.

For me, Brushy is worth the extra drive if you have the time and the price of gas doesn’t kill you.

Fred
Class 66
Golden Master 16 B
Treasure Coast Trail Riders
Palm Beach Track and Trail Riders
Old 04-09-2012, 02:44 AM

Thanks, Mike and Fred.
#466-2012 KTM 300XC,"83 Honda CR 480,'83 YZ 490, and Stud,The Bike
"May the Tutu be with you."