FTR Forums  

Go Back   FTR Forums > New Users > New? Start Here

New? Start Here Welcome - Rules and FAQ's

Old 04-03-2019, 01:05 AM
2017-2018 FTR Member

Default Newbie race day questions

Hi, I'm 47 interested in racing my first hare scramble. I've raced a few other motorsports but no motocross at all.

Is it necessary to show up the night before and camp, or is it possible to get a hotel, show up on race morning, register, and find a place to set up? How early should I arrive? I'll be racing Sat beginner class.

Would you recommend a pop up Canopy?

I'm riding a KTM 200 .. I am assuming a beginner race is only anout an hour... so refueling is probably not required.

Anything I am missing or suggestions for a newb?

Thanks
Old 04-03-2019, 06:40 AM
2017-2018 FTR Member

A lot of of people show up the morning of the race. Sign up and tech inspection is from 730 to 1030. A practice lap starts at 10 and is over by 1030. So itís up to you how long it will take you to be get ready in the morning. As for a gas stop on a 200 is not needed for a 1.5 hr race.
Vet B #94
Old 04-03-2019, 07:59 AM
2016-2017 FTR Member

You will be assigned a number at signup. Bring some paper and a black magic marker and packing tape to quickly make some temp number plates. You will sign up, do a practice lap at 8:30 and then sit around until the race which i believe is at 2pm. Max 1.5 hous but likely much less if you get cut off. Wear a camel back. Just have fun and learn, dont ball up in the first turn. Its not a race, its just a ride until you get used to it.
03 KTM 200 SX (times two) Love these bikes
Suncoast Trail Blazers
Old 04-03-2019, 08:26 AM
2017-2018 FTR Member

You didn't mention where you live but you may want to look into your local club and hit a meeting so you can head to the races with someone. People throw around the term "FTR Family" but it's true it is a great group of people who look out for each other and help each other out (loaning bikes is not unheard of). Before my first race I looked in the directory and called the secretary at the time (Shaun Foutch) and talked with him on the phone for about an hour. He encouraged me to come out and race and I looked him up at the first race and he was a ton of help.

As far as when to go and what you need. Showing up Saturday morning is not a problem. Get there for sign up (take advantage of pre-registration online) and tech inspection and when you go out for practice don't be afraid to mention to another rider that it's your first race. My first race I had a complete stranger ride practice with me and show me the lines.

A canopy is a great idea, you need somewhere to get out of the sun.

Make sure you get to the riders meeting before the first race and watch the start of the race. It gives you a good idea of what to expect and how it all works.

Most of all have fun and ride in your limits.

Welcome to FTR!!!
#194 Master C
2015 YZ250FX
Daytona Dirt Riders
All-In Motorsports
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjj..._as=subscriber
Old 04-03-2019, 09:37 AM
2017-2018 FTR Member

Thanks, yeah I've been watching and reading for years but finally have gotten around to deciding to race one. I already have my FTR number so no problem there but will bring electrical tape just in case . Will just need to join AMA on race day and should be GTG.

I'm in St. Petersburg.
Thanks!
Old 04-03-2019, 06:39 PM
2017-2018 FTR Member

Twice this season the Saturday morning lines were so long that they impeded the Saturday schedule. This is important because at least one of those times, many people including first time racers didn't get to practice.

So I would plan on being in the line early.
2016 30+ Poser
2017-18 Enduro A250 Poser
2017-18 Enduro Overall Poser
Old 04-04-2019, 12:55 PM
2017-2018 FTR Member

Are you referring to the line for sign up?

Does registering in advance get you past this mess or make any difference? I'm tempted to enter the race on the 13th, but it's probably too late to pre-register?

Thanks
Old 04-04-2019, 01:22 PM
2017-2018 FTR Member

One more question: Is there anything specific I need to do to prepare for tech inspection other than spark arrester and working brakes?

Is anything specific required to be safety wired?

In kart racing, things like brake caliper, brake and throttle linkages, etc all needed to be safety wired.

Thanks
Old 04-04-2019, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomstock View Post
Are you referring to the line for sign up?

Does registering in advance get you past this mess or make any difference? I'm tempted to enter the race on the 13th, but it's probably too late to pre-register?

Thanks
Not too late...

http://www.floridatrailriders.org//f...ad.php?t=19026

I would like to apologize to anyone whom I haven't offended yet. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly...

2019 KTM 350 XC-F
Silver Master B #3B
Old 04-04-2019, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomstock View Post
One more question: Is there anything specific I need to do to prepare for tech inspection other than spark arrester and working brakes?

Is anything specific required to be safety wired?

In kart racing, things like brake caliper, brake and throttle linkages, etc all needed to be safety wired.

Thanks
Spark Arrester and correct number plates. Come through Tech after you sign up with your wrist bands and transponder (which you buy at sign-up).

I would like to apologize to anyone whom I haven't offended yet. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly...

2019 KTM 350 XC-F
Silver Master B #3B