Flat tires

Robert S. Pierce

Hello. For some reason or another me and my son have been having a lot of flats recently. I’m trying to figure out why. Does anyone use baby powder or talc inside the tire before you put your tube in? My theory is that it’s helping it slide and pulling the valve core.

One more question how tight should the rim lock be? Maybe a torque setting or something?

Thanks for any help.

Jason Blankenship

seems like if your rim lock is tight enough that your tire shouldn't be slipping causing tube to slip inside rim.

I use heavy duty tubes and tighten the rim lock about as tight as i can, sorry i dont have any torque specs

If tire is not slipping then i would check your rim strips.

what kind of tubes are you using?

Mel Cunningham

I never had flat tire issues until last year when I bought my KTM 450. 2 flats in 8 races so I decided to install the tubeliss system for this year. Very easy to install and I had never installed a tire before installing this system.

Time will tell...

I use Kenda or Bridgestone tires with Michelin or Bridgestone XHD tubes. I use baby powder during installation. Duct tape for a rim strip. I can't remember the last time I had a flat. Are they pinch flats? If you're not running enough pressure, pinch flats happen. I had one or two in the past where I tightened the rim lock on the tube, so now I make sure that the tube is clear before I tighten. Last, I tighten the valve stem nut against the cap instead of the rim so if the tire/tube does slip, it won't rip the stem out.

Scott McGourley

What install lube are you using. Soapy water is a great lube for install but it will cause the tire to slip. I use windex. The baby powder will prevent flats. The tire itself has to move. Are you ripping off the stem or are the holes in the tube? Bad install techniques can damage the tube of its in other places.

Steve Miller

I do tighten the tube stem nut to the rim, I tighten it to the cap. If the tube moves it makes the stem cocked and you know something is wrong and needs to be corrected.

goracing

Robert S. Pierce

I usually use dawn or simple green to slip the tire on.

I am having trouble seeing if we punctured the tube...we always seem to ride back to camp or truck before fixing it.

I have noticed the tire spinning on the rim. I marked the tire so I can see how far it turns at the race this weekend. I also tightened up the rim lock.