fuel economy

William Pitts

I am contemplating a new bike. I would like to be able to complete a hare scramble without stopping for fuel. I am fine with installing a larger tank. I understand some of us are harder on the throttle than others. I would like to hear who can complete a race without stopping. What type of bike and what size fuel tank?

Robert S. Pierce

Good Morning.

With stock 1.7gal tanks... my son (2015 crf250r) an I (2015 crf450r) have finished every harescramble this year. Based on my calculations. We could run up to 48 miles on a stock tank. Son is a mid pack 250c rider...I am a slow SSRa rider. Hope this helps.

Jason Croley

My current bike is 2016 Yamaha YZ450FX with the stock 2 gallon tank. I can safely do 50 miles on the stock tank. It has the stock mapping and stock exhaust.
My last bike was a 2014 KTM 200 xcw with the stock 2.5 gallon tank. I could safely do 48 miles on the stock tank.
The bike before that was a 2011 Yamaha YZ250. I had a IMS 3.2 gallon tank on it. I could safely do 48 miles on that tank and 30 miles on the stock 2.1 gallon tank.

Scott McGourley

If you cannot make it on the bike listed in your signature, there is a problem. try adjusting the float. You should have no problem on that bike. Most bikes will make it for a guy in C class. Its the A and AA riders that are on that gas, that have more issues with gas. I think its more about finding the bike that fits you best.

William Pitts

My bike has had chronic float issues. I have replaced all the parts and paid a professional to work on it after I got frustrated with it. It continues to have issues. I sold my 2005 450 because it was older and would not start reliably. My last race on the 200, the float stuck after I got the hole shot and I DNFd. So I retired it to our farm in Tennessee. Taking this season off trying to save some money for a new bike. I just got tired of putting so much time and effort into racing and coming up short because of mechanicals. I got within 3 points of 1st at one point last year just to see it slip away.
The 200 was fun and great in the tighter technical sections. The forks could not take jumping very far and I lost most drag races in the open areas. After Factory Connection did the suspension it was great on flat land. I will not buy an XCW or TE because the Xplor forks reviews sound like they would ride the same. The AER forks sound promising.
I will end up on a KTM, Husqvarna, or Yamaha. Suspension, weight and fuel range will be the biggest factors for me. I would really like to go two stroke again to keep the noise level down when I ride in Tennessee. I do not want to stop for gas though. I was surprised to hear the 300XC would go the distance, that is encouraging.

Scott McGourley

I race in the same class as you, only a few races a year, but on a 200sx with the big carb an a 150 main stock tank. I have no issues but should run out of gas a half hour before you with the same tank. I agree that the 200 is not great for hare scrambles. I switched to a 250f for scrambles and kept the 200 for enduros. Dont underestimate the modern 250f's. The 250xcf is really a nice bike for scrambles as is the 350xcf. I like the 4t in rough stuff as it is more planted.

avo laido

Wife has an 250 xcf-w 2014. Light and fast on top end, and quiet with stock exhaust. The FMF 4.1 exhaust helped low-end a bunch (top feels about the same). Using the stock slip on in TN may work as it is pretty quiet! I would look at the Yamahas also. I wish I could be on the 2 stroke , but I ride We what wife rides {although the 350). The fuel injection and the big tank on the xcf-w makes me think I could do whole Enduro!

Greg Melka

2016 350xcf, no issues in Sr A finishing a race. I ran out one time on my 2014 at Dade city, when i was running "mild" map. I run standard map now, and get better mileage as ya don't use as much throttle position when you are able to twist the throttle.. would flip to mild map in nasty stuff, or if it was really muddy everywhere.

Most bikes will make it for a guy in C class. Its the A and AA riders that are on that gas, that have more issues with gas. I think its more about finding the bike that fits you best.
For myself, my 2013 YZ250 could not go a full FTR harescramble. I had to pit no matter the race. Went through a good 1.5 gallons in two laps at the last race and did 4 laps total. I also race the 250 C class on Sunday.
Ryan Boyd

David Kumanchik

My Yamaha WR250f will run for two hours of racing PLUS a practice lap without switching to reserve. I found this out on accident on mine. The fuel injection KTM 250xcf-w is basically the same bike and will also get you through a entire race. Both come with "large" tanks.