Kawasaki KX450

Troy Weeks

Need some assistance from Kawasaki riders. Has anyone had the following issue and how did you resolve.
Last season I attempted to ride the Okeechobee race off Rucks Dairy Road. Almost finished a lap and my 2019 KX450 started bogging real bad and stalling when I tried to accelerate. After getting home I found a very dirty, almost to the point of being choked off air filter. I thought this might have been the problem.
Today at Bartow I found it was not. Almost got a lap in and the bike started stalling. it would start back up but most of the time stall again. It would run a little bit, enough to get offcourse but bogg and stall again. This time it also refused to turn over with the starter until it sat for just a few minutes, maybe 2 or 3 minutes.
It sounds electrical like a component getting hot.
Any ideas or anyone have the same issue?

Thanks
Troy

Troy Weeks

If it was a fuel pump / fuel related issue wouldn't it likely have the bog issue right away, not 30 minutes into a ride?

Chris Swanbom

Troy, my neighbor had a 2019 KX450 and it would not finish a hare scramble and quit on the second or third lap and then start back up when cooled down. He replaced the fuel pump and that fixed it. I think pump would get hot and not pump the correct fuel pressure. He now has a 2022 KX450 and no issues in 80 hours so far.

Troy Weeks

Troy, my neighbor had a 2019 KX450 and it would not finish a hare scramble and quit on the second or third lap and then start back up when cooled down. He replaced the fuel pump and that fixed it. I think pump would get hot and not pump the correct fuel pressure. He now has a 2022 KX450 and no issues in 80 hours so far.
Chris

I was thinking more along the line that you stated. Electronic part getting hot like you said. I think I'll look into replacing fuel pump, probably say $250 if I had to guess.

OUCH, looks like almost $500

Better at Fuel Pumps Factory looks like you can get rebuild parts for $80

Last edited:

Dr! Still Bill

Administrator
Club Representative
I have had electrical components do that when they get hot (on entirely different motors). Very frustrating because they test OK when cold. Once a stator, and once a coil. Get an inline spark tester ($10), get bike hot until it stalls, then quickly test for spark to rule out ignition. When you say failed to turn over with starter, do you mean wouldn't crank, or wouldn't start?

Troy Weeks

I have had electrical components do that when they get hot (on entirely different motors). Very frustrating because they test OK when cold. Once a stator, and once a coil. Get an inline spark tester ($10), get bike hot until it stalls, then quickly test for spark to rule out ignition. When you say failed to turn over with starter, do you mean wouldn't crank, or wouldn't start?
Wouldn't turn over at all with starter. Motor would not reciprocate, piston would not go up and down, crankshaft and cam shaft would no rotate.

Dr! Still Bill

Administrator
Club Representative
Any noise from starter? Click, or spinning without engaging engine? If click or no sound at all, then bad starter solenoid, or bad ground (there is a ground location under the seat, I am told). Or if starter just spins, then starter clutch.

Troy Weeks

I'm going to check grounds when I get the new fuel pump. Seems to me lean bog and fail to turn over have a common issue and I'm not sure it is starter clutch. I'm leaning towards bad fuel pump heating up and failing. Not sure I can tie bad fuel pump to not turning over maybe it was just overheating the starter from having to restart so much. I will advise after I replace fuel pump.

George Stewart

Check your gas cap vent and hose mud daubers love the vent hose . also check charge amps out put no charge pump stops and starter