New half way point of season?

Michael Rewis

NOMAD RACING
With the post-poning of the DDR racing at Strickland ranch, will there be a new halfway point date on the season. WE don't want any surprises. One would think with the postponing of the said race that the posted halfway point date (1-5-20) would move one race forward. Would any official answer this question.

Dr! Still Bill

Administrator
Club Representative
According to rule book: "When advancement is earned or the points are accrued, at or prior to the first fifty
percent (50%) of the proposed and approved season sanctions, the rider is promoted immediately and will then take 90% of the
points awarded in the lower class to the higher class. When the points are accrued after 50% or more of the scheduled events have
been completed, the rider can remain in the lower class for the remainder of the season and the promotion will take effect at the

start of the next competition season."

With 13 races, halfway was at Race 7. With 12 on the schedule, halfway is at race 6. But, there could be 13 (or even 14) on the schedule by the time race 6 happens.

However - I would argue that the proposed and approved season sanctions, can never decrease, even if a race is cancelled (but it can increase, if one is added). But, 50% or more of the scheduled events, can change either direction. So, I think the rule is open to interpretation and could possibly be self-conflicting.

I know that others think this is clear, and it has always been interpreted a certain way, but it is confusing to me. I intend to make a proposal to change the language to the following, but it won't affect this season:

"When advancement is earned or the points are accrued at, or prior to, the first fifty percent (50%) of the the total number of events currently on the official schedule, the rider is promoted immediately and will then take 90% of the points awarded in the lower class to the higher class. When the points are accrued after, 50% or more of the events currently on the official schedule have been completed, the rider can remain in the lower class for the remainder of the season and the promotion will take effect at the start of the next competition season."

By the way - a rule was proposed last season to change 50% to 60% in order to make it more difficult to sandbag. As I recall, it passed on first vote, and failed on second vote.

Troy Weeks

According to rule book: "When advancement is earned or the points are accrued, at or prior to the first fifty
percent (50%) of the proposed and approved season sanctions, the rider is promoted immediately and will then take 90% of the
points awarded in the lower class to the higher class. When the points are accrued after 50% or more of the scheduled events have
been completed, the rider can remain in the lower class for the remainder of the season and the promotion will take effect at the

start of the next competition season."

With 13 races, halfway was at Race 7. With 12 on the schedule, halfway is at race 6. But, there could be 13 (or even 14) on the schedule by the time race 6 happens.

However - I would argue that the proposed and approved season sanctions, can never decrease, even if a race is cancelled (but it can increase, if one is added). But, 50% or more of the scheduled events, can change either direction. So, I think the rule is open to interpretation and could possibly be self-conflicting.

I know that others think this is clear, and it has always been interpreted a certain way, but it is confusing to me. I intend to make a proposal to change the language to the following, but it won't affect this season:

"When advancement is earned or the points are accrued at, or prior to, the first fifty percent (50%) of the the total number of events currently on the official schedule, the rider is promoted immediately and will then take 90% of the points awarded in the lower class to the higher class. When the points are accrued after, 50% or more of the events currently on the official schedule have been completed, the rider can remain in the lower class for the remainder of the season and the promotion will take effect at the start of the next competition season."

By the way - a rule was proposed last season to change 50% to 60% in order to make it more difficult to sandbag. As I recall, it passed on first vote, and failed on second vote.
I agree Bill The definition of halfway has a confusing definition. To me "proposed and approved season sanctions" have nothing to do with races that actually happened. But the second half of the rule"50% or more of the proposed events have been completed" does.
So if you combine the 2 halves into one whole 50% or more have been completed seems to over rule the first part. "Total number of events currently on the official schedule" isn't in the rule.

Dr! Still Bill

Administrator
Club Representative
Yes. I was proposing to change it to clarify for future seasons. This year, I suppose it will be done according to however it has been interpreted for past years. As it should be.

Troy Weeks

I do believe there is to much "WIGGLE ROOM" in the current rule. I think mid season should be a determined date that does not change due to cancelled or rescheduled races. We should be better riders not better mathematicians than our fellow competitors.

I propose the following rule change to invoke clarity to the date and include Bill's proposal to change it to 60% from 50%.
I wish to present this rule change to the Hare Scramble Committee for Consideration. I have searched the rule book front to back and believe this is the only place the change is relevant.

Current Rule
Chapter VII Hare Scrambles Scoring
Section C Paragraph 2

C. Rider Advancement
2. For all lowest division classes (Ex: Specialty and Displacement C Classes, etc), with the exception of the Golden Master, Silver Master, Pre-Modern, Women’s, Evo and Youth Classes, when 25 advancement points are accrued, the rider is promoted to the next higher division. All youth B riders will advance when 30 advancement points are accrued. For all other classes, except youth-C riders, the advancement point is at 45 points. When advancement is earned or the points are accrued, at or prior to the first fifty percent (50%) of the proposed and approved season sanctions, the rider is promoted immediately and will then take 90% of the points awarded in the lower class to the higher class. When the points are accrued after 50% or more of the scheduled events have been completed, the rider can remain in the lower class for the remainder of the season and the promotion will take effect at the start of the next competition season. However, riders voluntarily advancing themselves to a higher division after 50% of the scheduled events have been completed will carry no points to the higher division. Points earned in the lower division will remain in the lower division.

Changes in RED and Underlined

Chapter VII Hare Scrambles Scoring
Section C Paragraph 2

C. Rider Advancement
2. For all lowest division classes (Ex: Specialty and Displacement C Classes, etc), with the exception of the Golden Master, Silver Master, Pre-Modern, Women’s, Evo and Youth Classes, when 25 advancement points are accrued, the rider is promoted to the next higher division. All youth B riders will advance when 30 advancement points are accrued. For all other classes, except youth-C riders, the advancement point is at 45 points. When advancement is earned or the points are accrued, at or prior to the first SIXTY percent 60% of the proposed and approved season sanctions, the rider is promoted immediately and will then take 90% of the points awarded in the lower class to the higher class. When the points are accrued after (60%) of the proposed and approved season sanctions the rider can remain in the lower class for the remainder of the season and the promotion will take effect at the start of the next competition season. However, riders voluntarily advancing themselves to a higher division after 50% of the scheduled events have been completed will carry no points to the higher division. Points earned in the lower division will remain in the lower division

Last edited: