Racer Insurance - Moved from Gate Fee thread from Hare Scrambles

Gary Wyatt

Life Member
I have not spoken to anybody at this company yet but they may be of some help.

https://www.ridersurance.com/
Looking over this companies insurance it appears you have to purchase their entire health insurance plan to get their coverage. They do have an add on but it just gives you money like Aflac etc.

Matt, You can get a quote online if you want to take the time to fill it out and send it to them. Personally I have health insurance for my family and myself so if anyone isn't covered and wants to get a quote there is the link.

Scott McGourley

One thing to consider is it looks like this is indemnity insurance, not health insurance. As a result there is no negotiated rate. If you go to a dr you will pay that rediculous rate that with a plan is a 90% writedown. Pretty much their best plan will cover the ambulance ride and thats about it. I can see why it doesnt sell well. Go to the er to get checked out and you will probably owe money. I have worked with chubb before. They were a good company. K&k is too. I think there are better ways to spend your money.

M

matt oatway

That doesn't sound that pricey. $112 a month for $75,000 of coverage. The deductible is steep. I wonder if some AFLAC added would help pay that deductible?

Gary did Mike say anything about offering one day accident insurance for the harescrambles? Any leads on how that could be made possible?

Last edited:

Gary Wyatt

Life Member
Matt,

It appears almost anything is possible. It just depends on what the person wants and is willing to spend.

If you will notice in the bid I was asked how many events I wanted coverage for in the policy year. The rate was based on my stating I need coverage for 25 events in the year.

At this point I have researched all I am willing to search or converse with agents about.

M

matt oatway

Matt,

It appears almost anything is possible. It just depends on what the person wants and is willing to spend.

If you will notice in the bid I was asked how many events I wanted coverage for in the policy year. The rate was based on my stating I need coverage for 25 events in the year.

At this point I have researched all I am willing to search or converse with agents about.
Gary,

Thanks for doing the research you have done. I hope the BOD will take the reins on this matter and run with it.

Shaun Foutch

Gary,

Thanks for doing the research you have done. I hope the BOD will take the reins on this matter and run with it.
Matt, I wouldn't expect the BOD to run with this.

I can imagine if a proposal was made and passed that tasked the BOD to investigate racer insurance, they would have to follow through. Until then, I doubt anyone will invest the time and effort into this based on what has been revealed thus far.

Just my thoughts, so don't shoot the messenger...

M

matt oatway

Matt,

Shaun,

The words in bold ring out. Hopefully the BOD wants to add some options for FTR's members and possible new members. I don't believe a few phone calls is considered extensive research do you?

I will not be writing up a proposal forcing the BOD to do a darn thing.

Last edited:

Shaun Foutch

Shaun,

The words in bold ring out. Hopefully the BOD wants to add some options for FTR's members and possible new members. I don't believe a few phone calls is considered extensive research do you?
Matt, I wouldn't research it because I have my own insurance. I believe everyone I know has their own insurance. I'm not sure how many people this would benefit.

My personal opinion is that people should not race if they don't have proper insurance. Again, that is my personal opinion and it may not be popular. I wouldn't put a road block in front of any effort to research and make something available, but I think it may be a lot of work for minimal benefit. I'd welcome efforts to find out how many people this would help before tasking someone with the exercise...

M

matt oatway

Shaun,

Just so you know I am covered. I am glad you have your own insurance. I don't know if you work for a huge company that provides it but I am glad you are good to go. There are a ton of folks that do not have that going on these days. It would be nice if FTR could have one day accident coverage offered at each harescramble. The BOD can do more research or they can choose to do nothing at all.

Shaun Foutch

Shaun,

Just so you know I am covered. I am glad you have your own insurance. I don't know if you work for a huge company that provides it but I am glad you are good to go. There are a ton of folks that do not have that going on these days. It would be nice if FTR could have one day accident coverage offered at each harescramble. The BOD can do more research or they can choose to do nothing at all.
Matt, how many people racing FTR would benefit from the exercise to find one day accident insurance plans?

I don't expect the BOD to exert much effort until the numbers justify it. I love the idea, but I don't see it gaining traction until there is a quantifiable benefit...

M

matt oatway

Matt, how many people racing FTR would benefit from the exercise to find one day accident insurance plans?

I don't expect the BOD to exert much effort until the numbers justify it. I love the idea, but I don't see it gaining traction until there is a quantifiable benefit...
Are you asking me how many FTR members and possible members do not race because they have no accident coverage on themselves(DURING A RACE)? If that is what you are asking me I have no way to answer that accurately now do I? I do believe most folks running for year end points are most likely covered. Heck I hope they are all covered. I am sure there are a good many FTR members that only race a few races a year and have a hard time justifying paying massive rate increases to upgrade what insurance they have if any. It would be nice if it was arranged where in time FTR had that option.

Last edited:

Scott McGourley

All good ideas and gary did a stellar job getting details, but if you think an insurance company is gonna take a 50 or 100k risk for a few bucks on a single race, i think you are mistaken. Its not like i know what i am talking about, i dont. I just cant see it making sense to an insurer. Look at it this way, if they insured every rider for a race at $50 a head they would net $30k. The odds of a helicopter ride are just too high. More then likely they would take in much less and who would pay $50 anyway???? I would probably choose not to race....actually what gary dug up is not bad for a guy with no insurance and rides it like he stole it.

Ian Joubert

Are you asking me how many FTR members and possible members do not race because they have no accident coverage on themselves(DURING A RACE)? If that is what you are asking me I have no way to answer that accurately now do I? I do believe most folks running for year end points are most likely covered. Heck I hope they are all covered. I am sure there are a good many FTR members that only race a few races a year and have a hard time justifying paying massive rate increases to upgrade what insurance they have if any. It would be nice if it was arranged where in time FTR had that option.
I thought we were all covered. Can't one get Obummer care for pre existing conditions?

Also, I wonder how many of us aren't covered if we say the wrong thing in the hospital because the ins. company has a loophole for that...

Scott McGourley

I had a claim last year had 9 stitches in foot riding in woods. Went to emer room. Was a huge bill like $3k. Told the truth. Then they tried to put it on my car insurance, i had to do an online multi-step affavadavit while they tried to wiggle out. In the end i got off as i tild them it was an offroad mc and i was pleasure riding. Health insurance covered.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Wyatt

Life Member
Shaun,

Matt, you have an unrealistic impression of what the BOD's responsibilities and duties are. See below;

Article VIII
The duties of Geographical Area Directors shall be:
To act as voting members of the Board of Directors
To qualify
for office, a Geographical Area Director shall have been a
member of FTR in good standing for a minimum of 2 years at
the time of election to office.
To assist the officers with their duties.
To act as direct representatives of the members of their
geographic areas to the Executive Committee. To act as
liaisons between promoters and/or clubs in their geographic
areas and the organization.
The geographic areas will be reviewed by the Board of
Directors and modified, if necessary, at least once in every five
year period. To vote for a Director in a specific area or run for
the Director position you must live in the Directors Geographic
Area.
BOD members and not at the beck and call of the members to do their leg work in searching for, in this case insurance, rules, or anything else. If a member wants something added or changed in FTR they need to do the work to propose whatever they want and present it for the board to vote on.

If the BOD wants to appoint a person or special committee to look into a matter that is another option. However as Shaun suggested, the need has to be shown to the board to make it a worthwhile endeavor.

Last edited:

ROBERT D'ANGELO

Reading this post might sway some people to NOTrace.I know it's for their own good but makes you think maybe I shouldn't race till I can afford to get insurance.Is that good for FTR?I don't think it will increase membership talking about this, that's for sure.