Racer Insurance - Moved from Gate Fee thread from Hare Scrambles

Shaun Foutch

Reading this post might sway some people to NOTrace.I know it's for their own good but makes you think maybe I shouldn't race till I can afford to get insurance.Is that good for FTR?I don't think it will increase membership talking about this, that's for sure.
Robert,

I'm all about growing FTR, but not at the expense of having people race that can't afford it (gate fees, insurance, entry fees, fuel cost, bike maintenance, gear, membership fees, etc...). Are we to misrepresent the cost to race in order to grow FTR? I think not...

I believe it is a responsible discussion to have. Anyone contemplating racing should understand the up front cost to get started and the cost to continue. That is part of being a responsible adult...

I wouldn't race if I didn't have insurance, but that would be my personal decision and is not a disparaging opinion of those who have different thoughts on the matter.

Last edited:
M

matt oatway

If the BOD wants to appoint a person or special committee to look into a matter that is another option.
This was the option I was referring to Gary. The BOD/FTR LEADERSHIP has the numbers and are the numbers guys. How would the common member be able to present a proper proposal without those numbers?

Can the all important new rule book committee multitask??? Just kidding....... LOL

Last edited:

ROBERT D'ANGELO

I think it's proven that I can talk about my issues till I'm blue in the face on the forum and nobody cares,,,NOtHING will change.If I really want to make a change I have to say something at a HS meeting NOT the forum ,and step up and be there to get the job done, NOT talk about it on the forum...It seems people forget quicker when something doesn't effect them.My goal is to lower the chance that anyone will EVER need insurance,ecpecially the little racers that depend on us to have their back and that we do our very best to keep them safe.We have to cut down on any opportunity for something to go wrong.I'm not implying we shouldn't all have insurance.

Gary Wyatt

Life Member
This was the option I was referring to Gary. The BOD/FTR LEADERSHIP has the numbers and are the numbers guys. How would the common member be able to present a proper proposal without those numbers?

Can the all important new rule book committee multitask??? Just kidding....... LOL
Great, I'm glad you understand.

Now go to a BOD meeting. Bring up the subject to the BOD. Ask them to appoint YOU to do the research. If the BOD agrees after a lot of discussion and appoints YOU they will be glad to give you any "numbers" they have available to them. Personally I'm not sure what numbers you are referring to nevertheless they may.

Once you do the research go back to the BOD with your findings and they will discuss the pros and cons of what you give them and vote on it.

It's that simple.

M

matt oatway

Gary,

I will approach more insurance companies and try to gather up as much information as I can. I'm not getting into the FTR proposal game. If the info is deemed helpful so be it. Leadership can do with it what they want.

Gary Wyatt

Life Member
Gary,

I will approach more insurance companies and try to gather up as much information as I can. I'm not getting into the FTR proposal game. If the info is deemed helpful so be it. Leadership can do with it what they want.
Thank you Matt for your willingness to look into this further. If you do the leg work on this I am sure the leadership of FTR will give it their full attention and appreciation.

Anything that will benefit the members of FTR is a worthwhile endeavor.

Mike Belle

Matt, what "numbers" do you need? My understanding was that if individual insurance was available, it could be offered by the clubs at the events, if they were interested in providing it. Why does "FTR" need to be involved at all, and why do insurance people need any "numbers"? It's a 1.5-2 hour race through the woods on a 6-15 mile course, with up to about 250 people on the track at one time? What other numbers could matter?

Mike

M

matt oatway

Matt, what "numbers" do you need? My understanding was that if individual insurance was available, it could be offered by the clubs at the events, if they were interested in providing it. Why does "FTR" need to be involved at all, and why do insurance people need any "numbers"? It's a 1.5-2 hour race through the woods on a 6-15 mile course, with up to about 250 people on the track at one time? What other numbers could matter?

Mike
In order to have a insurance provider to provide trackside signup the insurance company would need the averages of race participation and also the type of club insurance already provided. Knowing this type of info would dictate the rates the trackside policy will provide.

Mike Belle

In order to have a insurance provider to provide trackside signup the insurance company would need the averages of race participation and also the type of club insurance already provided. Knowing this type of info would dictate the rates the trackside policy will provide.
The participation averages about 550 riders. The insurance the club buys is liability only, and covers the club, land owner and FTR. It offers nothing in the way of health insurance for the riders.

Mike

M

matt oatway

There are many businesses that offer accident insurance to their customers to help back their product. Take the auto rental industry for example. Without the insurance company backing the auto rental business they would have issues selling their product.

Last edited:
M

matt oatway

Without getting into what the club's insurance really covers I can say with a bit of education given to me by Mike the type of coverage offered by Mike and others would depend on what the club's insurance really covers. There are numbers I do not have to add into the equation to give to the insurance rep.

Peter Rose

FTR Vice President
FTR Official
Club Representative
contact the FTR business office and try to get a copy of the K&K policy or contact the AMA and get a copy of the policy they offer.

M

matt oatway

Pete.

I know what both provide. If the clubs want track side options they and the BOD have the answers to the questions the insurer asks. The club's that are looking for ideas on how to bring in more folks to enjoy their product need to work with each other and with the insurer. Heck it may never happen. The numbers should be run by those that have the numbers and find out if it would benifit FTR. I can find more rates for riders needing yearly/monthly rates. I will continue trying to find better. So far Mike's policy looks pretty darn good.

Last edited:

Peter Rose

FTR Vice President
FTR Official
Club Representative
Matt, you just asked what the about the coverage, then you say you already know that. You are typing in circles.

The clubs, are not going to want to be selling insurance. Most barely have enough man power to cover all the responsibilities already on the table.

medical/accident insurance is the responsibility of the individual, not FTR, not the clubs.

If you feel so strongly about it set up a vendor tent and sell it yourself.

my opinion, I belong to two clubs, VP of one.

M

matt oatway

Pete,

I know what both offer. As far as the club's selling insurance. Placing the one day policy on clipboards on a table is a easy thing to do. No salesperson needed.

Last edited:

Gary Wyatt

Life Member
Matt,

In my search and conversations with insurance agents I did not find any company selling a one day policy. All the polices are based on a yearly premium. Loyd's, through Mike is based on the number of events you want to be covered for. However it is also based on a yearly premium.

Peter Rose

FTR Vice President
FTR Official
Club Representative
Matt, both you and I know that any type of injury insurance is going to require some type of time grace period, some type of written affidavit stating current medical condition, and twenty pieces of paperwork that need to be filled out and notarized.

As Gary stated, these are yearly policies, not one day event policies.

Move on.

M

matt oatway

I will continue to try to find a company that does provide the one day coverage and bring it to FTR's leadership when I find one. I did tell Mike I was looking for a one day policy for track side.

Mike Belle

I did tell Mike I was looking for a one day policy for track side.
And if he's asking the questions about FTR and the club's insurance, all he's looking for is an opportunity to sell those and roll it into a bigger deal. Like Pete said, the clubs are not going to be interested in dealing with this at the race, and the insurance companies are not going to be interested in a one day policy for an amount that many people will be willing to pay. At the race one day coverage, is not going to happen. If people want an annual policy, they can get it on their own before they come!

Mike

PS: The only thing being accomplished here, is Matt running up the post count on a subject that is not going anywhere!